Saturday, July 12, 2008

What Is Missing in the World?


The world appears to be in chaos in virtually every country. Food sources are diminishing and food prices are skyrocketing as well as the price of oil. In addition, we have climate changes with devastating earth changes such as fires, floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, typhoons, earthquakes and tsunamis, which wreak havoc on populations and perpetuate famine, drought and diseases. It isn't a pretty picture and one can become depressed by thinking about it.



There are those who predict these are the last days of the Earth and it could be as we know it to be. However, from adversity can come wisdom. Adversities propel open-minded people to create new ways and new inventions, while others sink into an abyss of hopelessness. It is almost impossible to allow creative ideas to flow into the mind when one is harboring worry, stress, anger, resentment, jealousy to name a few emotions that feed hopelessness. Today there is a proliferation of road rage and now this rage is spilling over into office rage and spreading world-wide. This contributes to sinking into the abyss instead of moving into creativity.



Something is missing and it seems to have been hijacked by governments, corporations and religions. What is this missing ingredient? It is personal responsibility based on a code of ethics. The oldest code of ethics originated from ancient Egypt where the pharaohs ruled using a code of ethics as given in the Egyptian Book of the Dead: The Coming into Day. This code is the basis of the Ten Commandments, the Golden Rule and the Sermon on the Mount and others in all parts of the world. From E. Wallis Budge's translation, here are a few excerpts of this powerful code.


I have committed no evil upon men.

I have not oppressed the members of my family.

I have not wrought evil in the place of right and truth.

I did not rise in the morning and expect more than was due me.

I have not caused pain.

I have caused no man to hunger.

I have made no one weep.

I have not polluted myself.

I have not diminished the bushel when I've sold it.

I have not added to or stolen land.

I have not encroached on the land of others.



There is much more to this code and bringing it forward to the present day, I am simplifying it to say: Do not lie. Do not cheat. Do not steal. Do not gossip. Treat others as you wanted to be treated. In Nikko, Japan there is a famous carving over the entrance to the Temple of the Three Monkeys portraying see no evil, hear no evil and speak no evil.



During my many years on this Earth, I have changed my mind numerous times from believing I was a victim, no self worth, being jealous or envious to releasing all of that old thinking and emotions. How did I do this? I share this in my forthcoming book, Awakening the Genie Within to be released in August, 2008. My book is not really a memoir. It is a story of my awakening and moving from victim to being a woman who has gained wisdom from all of my experiences. I share the many tools, insights, stories that others can use to move forward in their lives.


Most people have no idea of the importance of the words they use and the thoughts they have. For each of us to move forward in our mental growth and evolution, we must shed the stagnation of beliefs we have held on to. These are limited beliefs perpetuated by religions, schools, governments and corporations. It is time for each of us to shed these shackles that chain us to the past and to live from a healthy environment of our mind. The time has come for everyone to release and give up prejudices, thinking we are better than someone else, thinking that one religion is the only way to salvation, and bigotry. I have learned that by giving these up that I am a able to love the spark of God or the Creator in everyone and not to condemn. This is what is missing in the world--freedom of the mind. Change your mind and you change your world.

No comments: